Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Lily-livered pantywaists and the tea cut off

12 replies, 10 voices Last updated by Anonymous 12 years ago
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

So, we’ve all heard people say “I don’t drink tea after x o’clock” because the caffeine keeps me awake.”

Let’s ignore the fact that credible studies have shown that reaction to caffeine is a conditioned societal response – in cultures where people are raised from birth being told that a thick black coffee that could jump start a space shuttle will help them sleep if taken before bed, it actually does.

Let’s talk about those people who claim that tea keeps them awake. My argument is “So what?”

I mean, if it’s a choice between tea and sleep, where’s the attraction in sleep? Feel tired the next day? DRINK MORE TEA.
      Discuss if you dare!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I drink any type of tea at anytime of day. I most always have a cup of tea by my side before I even fall asleep. It is a nightly ritual and I base my decision on what to drink purly on what I’m in the mood for and nothing else.

As for the title of this forum topic… Hysterical and the second I read it I thought, “Only Robert.” with the highest respect of course.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I am in complete agreement with Rachana, I drink tea all the time, I actually find it relaxing to read and drink my tea in bed…it gives me that warm feeling that in the end helps me fall asleep. 🙂

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Interesting topic. Sometimes I blame a late cup of tea if I didn’t fall asleep right away, so I mostly don’t have tea late in the evening. I don’t exactly get the urge for a good cuppa at 11pm probably because it does make me a little more bouncy. I don’t have a cut-off time that I’m very conscious of. I’d say probably not after 10 though. I do want a cup of tea every single morning, right away, first thing. Don’t try and involve me in meaningful discussions until I’ve had my tea. When I go onto Tea Trade in the mornings you can be certain I’ve already sipped tea. Or am doing it while reading. I couldn’t enjoy our insightful forum discussions without it ; )

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Best night-time study aid for a student is a keemun or an autumnal darjeeling (since now I have a bundle of it). And, I can still get to bed at a decent hour…maybe 2am or 3am! Haha. But I have never really had a problem going to bed even after a cup of tea. Although, I definitely HAVE felt the effects of caffeine, which are really not good…too many cups of coffee after too little sleep is a horrid idea.

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

I always have a china cup of tea to take to bed. Whilst I can drink any tea anytime,. Lady D does prefer the lighter offerings at night but is not overly fond of green or whites so we tend to drink 1001 Nights, Peppermint Plus or the yet-to-be-released Pandan Plus from our own range. Of course, I recommend this idea.

lazyliteratus
      Participant
      @lazyliteratus

I remember reading somewhere that caffeine technically doesn’t act as a traditional stimulant. What it does is block some sort of chemical from registering to the rest of your body that it’s still tired. Unlike coffee, which sends more of these little suckers to damn up your “ZZZzzzzzzzz”-s, tea-..uh…-ine is time-released, thanks to those lovely little tannins.

But take this with a grain o’ salt (or sugar) and read up on it yourself.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

lazyliteratus said:
      I remember reading somewhere that caffeine technically doesn’t act as a traditional stimulant. What it does is block some sort of chemical from registering to the rest of your body that it’s still tired. Unlike coffee, which sends more of these little suckers to damn up your “ZZZzzzzzzzz”-s, tea-..uh…-ine is time-released, thanks to those lovely little tannins.

But take this with a grain o’ salt (or sugar) and read up on it yourself.

The theanine mitigates the effect of the caffeine, from what I understand. Coffee has nothing to regulate the caffeine’s effect and that’s why it has more of a hardcore wake-uppineess about it. You still have to factor in for habituation, personal metabolism and psychology though, I guess

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I heard that about theanine as well, I can believe it. I work till about 10:00pm, drinking tea all the way and I’m still asleep by 12. My life must seem so interesting, at least there’s loads of tea involved… 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Hmm, well I do tend towards the lighter stuff as the day wears on, having started early on at least three mugs of builders’ tea – you know, good strong, stand-your-spoon-up-in-it black tea. However, my main concern about a disturbed night isn’t caffeine.
      How can I put this delicately? I’ll quote the dear departed Irene Handl, character actress. “Doctor says, no liquids after 5pm”. Enough said.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

That is a funny title…..sounds like a college drinking challenge 😉 I agree with the last statement that caffeine isn’t the reason I can’t sleep. If I drink too much before bed I am getting up for other personal reasons. I do however have at least two cups of “tea” before bed. I put that in quotes because I guess I cannot officially call it “tea”. I usually drink a rooibos before bed because it is calming and does not have caffeine. Right now I am drinking a Jasmine Rooibos which has a very soothing effect. For sometime I mixed chamomile, lemongrass, and catnip. It worked great in putting me right to sleep. But again, I guess you can’t call this tea. We also carry some “decaf” black tea’s (my favorite is the french vanilla) they are not particulary decaffenated but have reduced caffeine levels around 5-10mg. Which is very minute.

Here is a technique to reduce caffenine levels- if you want to take the tyme 😉

Place the tea in your warmed pot, pour some hot water into it — just enough to cover the leaves — wait 30 ~ 45 seconds, then pour off and discard the water. Refill the pot with hot water and steep as usual. This removes 50% to 70% of the caffeine!

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@tarastyme – you drink catnip? Is there no danger of rolling around on the carpet like high kitty? ; )

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

said:
      @tarastyme – you drink catnip? Is there no danger of rolling around on the carpet like high kitty? ; )

that is funny! catnip is a great herb for digestive and calming. but i would not recommend buying it in a box with a cat on it or in a scratching post. it does make you feel “soft and fuzzy”!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.