Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Favorite Darjeeling estates?

5 replies, 6 voices Last updated by jopj 12 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

This morning on twitter @iheartteas was looking for Darjeeling recommendations – wondering which estates we might suggest. She was looking at @lochantea who have a large selection. I mentioned my favorites which are Jungpana and Sourenee, over Goomtee and Giddahapar. I know Goomtee is pretty popular but while I like it, it’s not my preferred estate. At least not this year.
      Not long ago @lazyliteratus and @verity were also discussing their favorite estates, and one or both of these lovely people mentioned Castleton. I haven’t had the 2011 Castelton, so I can’t say much about it. I have had Margaret’s Hope and although it’s one of these very well known and popular estates, along with Makaibari, neither one of these are on my top tea garden list. I’ve had quite a number of Darjeeling this year, so I’m going to check on which other estates we tried. Spelling for those doesn’t always come naturally…
      So, over to you. Which ones do you prefer? Which ones have you had, first or second flush 2011?

lazyliteratus
      Participant
      @lazyliteratus

Castleton just recently caught my attention. The wonderful Edgar Thoemmes of Canton Tea Co. and Benoy Thapa of Thunderbolt Tea sent me care packages of Moonlight (both the first AND second flush versions for 2011). I think I have enough of one cup worth I could send your way for flavor comparison, if you want.

Also in my top five are Arya and Makaibari. Arya has been on my radar since 2009 (again thanks to Thunderbolt and Canton). They’re especially known for their exquisite green teas – the Arya Emerald and Elixir, respectively. This year they also had a white tea that was simply superb. I’ve got a bit of those I could also pass on.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I really do love Giddapahar teas. I can’t even say exactly why – I have had so many nice Darjeelings from so many different estates – but there is really something special about Giddapahar. I have also had some beautiful teas from Castleton, though. Risheehat is another favourite. I haven’t actually tried a lot of the from this year, though – I bought up big on Thunderbolt Teas in their sale of autumn and second flushes from 2009 and 2010, because being in the southern hemisphere I find that the new season teas are too light for the cold weather which we are having just when the first flush is available! But I’ll be looking for some first flushes to see me through the southern summer… Recommendations welcome!

Vivek Lochan
      Participant
      @vivek.lochan

as @verity and @lazyliteratus have mentioned above, Giddapahar and Castleton are producing some really good teas this year. another good garden to take notice of is Thurbo – they have produced some really good and economically priced teas this season…

another interesting garden is singbulli. we will hopefully have more offerings from them in the 2012 season.

lochantea
      Participant
      @lochantea

Chamong, Seeyok, Sungma, Selimbong are some of the Darjeeling tea gardens which are lesser talked about in these forums.

Blogs and internet marketing are still a newer concept which does not cover 100% production and slowly spreading to hitherto unknown areas.
      Tea industry in India is slowly opening to these electronic avenues – China has been comparatively must faster… 

jopj
      Participant
      @jopj

Chamong, Castleton, Makaibari

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.