Site-Wide Activity Forums Not only tea! India: Fastest growing chocolate market in the world

3 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Xavier 11 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

India is going nuts over chocolate! I hadn’t really given India’s chocolate consumption much thought, for some reason I spend far more time thinking about their teas. However, I just saw this article about their chocolate consumption doubling from  $418 million in 2008 to $857 million in 2011. To me as a chocolate lover that’s interesting. I can imagine that chocolate doesn’t rank very high in hot countries, so it’s a new trend. Wonder if they’ll be making their own chocolates too, or importing the finest stuff from Belgium? Why Belgium? I love Belgian chocolates they are pretty much top on my list. 

From Times Live: India emerges as fastest growing market for chocolate

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

And I am right now in Belgium.

As for making their own chocolates, it will depend on the market size (just look at the problems the Omanhene Cocoa Bean Company is facing since there is no real local/continental market).

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@xavier I will have to check out the company you mentioned. I’ve never heard of them. You are in Belgium now you say? Lucky man. Say hello to all those pralines from me. Or have a nibble and toast us with your next bite. 

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

@jackie I read a book called Chocolate Nations, quite informative.

And Belgium is my second home.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.