Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Darjeeling tea: How the processing changed over time

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by seule771 12 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Here’s a link to an interesting post by Michael Harney of Harney & Sons Teas. I didn’t even know he wrote a blog, until I saw a link by @mbanu on another forum. While the article I’m referring is four years old, Michael still updates his blog from time to time, and his Darjeeling post remains as relevant as ever. I will be looking through his articles to see which ones I’d like to highlight. Same goes for Mbanu’s posts, I’ll be sharing a few more.
      I didn’t know that Darjeeling tea was harvested and processed differently under British rule, and influence than it is today. Harney calls the differences “drastic.” I also didn’t know how important the German influence was on Darjeeling tea. If you don’t know who Bernd Wulf was, and what he and Ranabir Sen accomplished, then all I can say is; read the post.
      http://guidetotea.blogspot.com/2008/09/advent-of-great-darjeelings.html

seule771
      Participant
      @seule771

Hi,

It interesting this mentioning of Harney’s tea and his son blog. I did not know. I was hoping to do a review of Harney and Sons, their history and review some of their teas as a month’s special on my blog, if not in May it would be the June issue.

I spotted whole tins of their teas at several places I frequent; so money is what is stopping me. And I found several great articles on the father. I am hoping to incorporate all of this information into one issue; that is what I am trying to get at. But I ramble on instead. always too wordy.

The article on Darjeeling did not strike me all that much. But I only glance at it, not fully read.

Thank you for sharing. I kind of like this site more so.

Yahoo group teamail has discussion of recent to do with Darjeeling; they harped about quite some time and then the bantering went on to Assam Black tea and of late it is to do with teapot, no a Kettle. At times it seems like the discussion is of something other than tea or tea wares. The Assam comments were always from that Dunbar character; he harped on the Red Robe tea as well.

I just mean I take things the wrong way.

I notice that KeeneTyme is spending time here and selling Christmas teas. Bit odd, Keene Thyme was to have been on Steepster with some essay contest rewarding Christmas pearl tea but never panned out. Or I missed revelation. I am sorry folks do not trust me.

I am not employed, and I do snag what little income from husband who is very thin. I am impulsive and driving the poor man…O.k bye.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.