3 replies, 3 voices Last updated by bram 10 years, 10 months ago
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Twenty years ago I bought in China Town, San Francisco a tea that was called Monkey Tikuyin, picked up by trained monkeys was written in the can. I’m traying to find this tea again but I don’t find anything under that name. Some can help me and knows exactly which kind of tea is this?

bram
      Participant
      @bram

Try Tie Kuan Yin or Tie Guan Yin or variations on that name. You probably had some variation of that tea where they put monkey in the name.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

@maria a more common anglicized spelling you will often find is tie guan yin otherwise called, The Iron Goddess of Mercy. This may be why any internet searches you tried weren’t much help.

Tony Gebley once wrote a little blurb about it and describes the Monkey Picked part. I also found a generic website that also has a longer write up about it all here.

Without making any endorsements at all, here are six online retailers that sell it. I found them through Google and list them in no particular order. Quality and value may vary. No doubt there are others.

Samovar Teas

Aroma Tea House

The Fragrant Leaf

Teavivre

Imperial Tea Court

Red Blossom Tea Company

If you end up ordering some, I’d be really interested to know which one and what you thought of it be sure to come back and let us know how it went! Of course, I’m most interested in finding out how it lives up to the memory and if it satisfies a 20-year-old craving. 😉

bram
      Participant
      @bram

A search on steepster for “monkey ti” gives 21 results.

http://steepster.com/search?q=monkey+ti&products=on

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.