Site-Wide Activity Forums Support and Feedback Using Commas In Your Profile?

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Jackie 12 years, 3 months ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Hey tea frinds — have you noticed how, if you use consecutive commas in the teatra.de profile blurbs, the software thinks you’re trying to make a tag list, and it turns whatever is between the commas into a link?

Well, I just figured out a cool trick to circumvent that — I thought some other teatra.ders might find this useful, too.

Instead of using the standard comma character, the one generated by the key located next to the period on a standard keyboard, hit option+shift+zero (on a Mac) to get an almost identical character that doesn’t trigger the auto-link behavior!  (It looks like this: ‚ .  The standard comma looks like this: , .  Pretty similar, huh?)

There’s probably an equivalent thing on the PC, but I don’t happen to know what it is…  Anyone?

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Somehow I hadn’t seen your comment David aka @teachange – I’m going to bump this up and pass it on to @peter – don’t know if it’s still an issue. I hadn’t noticed the problem, but it’s interesting you came up with a workaround.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

@teachange This is actually a feature that I keep forgeting to turn off, it just requires some hacking for me to do so and I keep putting it off.

BuddyPress, which is the software we use to manage our social functions, turns keywords into links allowing you to click on them generating search results from all the member profiles. The intent is to allow you to find other members with the same interests (which is probably more useful on a network that has thousands of members…) the trouble is that it is a little over-zealous sometimes and creates links when you don’t really want them.

It’s not a bug or problem, its actually a feature.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Ha, yeah; definitely on the overzealous side. 🙂 And, although I did realize it was a feature, rather than a bug, I was pleased, nonetheless, to find a workaround. (I mean, seriously; look how many commas I’ve used just in these three sentences…)

Anyway, no need to hack it on my account. And, other people might want to use it…

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

ha, ha, ha,

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Just wanted to try it out @teachange – it just happens on the profile page? But yep, you’re a clever man which is why you’re on Tea Trade, that in itself is proof! ; )

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.