Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Loose Leaf Tea in the UK

Tagged: 

22 replies, 7 voices Last updated by Anonymous 11 years, 11 months ago
Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Hey guys, anyone have any recommendations for places to buy loose leaf tea in the UK? I’ve been trying a few websites (Nothing But Tea, All About Tea etc) and was wondering if anyone had any others. I’m based in Brighton so any shops need to either be in the South East area or need to sell via the internet. Let me know guys…

Simon

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Thanks Dinah, I’ll try them out and let you know. Very tempted by their Darjeeling mint. This tea buying lark is becoming an addiction… 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

@dinahsaur Tell me about it, they don’t put it in the books “If you’re getting into tea be prepared to lose at least one cupboard to it. Minimum” 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I believe The Devotea http://www.the-devotea.com is starting his UK website very shortly. Some pretty unusual and interesting blends there – well worth a look at the Australian site even if it’s just for his sense of humour!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

@Xavier Cheers man, I’ll check them out. Let me know if those samples are any good!

said:
      I believe The Devotea http://www.the-devotea.com is starting his UK website very shortly. Some pretty unusual and interesting blends there – well worth a look at the Australian site even if it’s just for his sense of humour!

I noticed that, I’m quite excited. I’ll check out the Australian site a bit more now in preperation… 🙂

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

hiphopteashop said:
      @Xavier
      I noticed that, I’m quite excited. I’ll check out the Australian site a bit more now in preperation… :)

@peter and I’ve sipped our way through most of his teas, and they make for a fine cuppa. I think @thedevotea‘s blends are better than any I’ve encountered in tins. Probably because he uses a lot of pretty good Darjeeling in many of them.
      As to loose leaf tea in good ol’ England – bummer! Wish more Brits drank loose leaf tea. Do you know the wonderful Henrietta Lovell of Rare Tea Company? She’s on a crusade to bring more loose leaf tea to the masses. I’ve never tried her company’s teas – but I adore the lady. She’s made lots of interesting tea vids, I’ll put some up if you haven’t seen them yet. If I think of more companies, I’ll add them later.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

@jackie I’ve heard of the company but not of Henrietta I’ll check the site out. Haven’t seen those videos either, they sound pretty interesting… 🙂

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

I saw this discussion, jumped on to blow my own trumpet and found the orchestra were already warming up. Great to see.
      We should launch in the UK in May. As our distributors source all of their raw products locally or internationally – i.e. we don’t actually send the tea to the UK, it’s blended under licence – our distributor is likely to start with about 5 or 6 of our blends, not the whole set.
      Some of the blends are actually quite tricky – for example the process of drying oranges for the Lady Devotea blend – so until I personally get to the UK in August September to conduct some in-house training some are not even possible.
      And Lady Devotea (the Lady this time, not the tea) and I are likely to be in Brighton soaking up some history on the afternoon and evening of 30/9/2012 if you want to grab some tea loving friends, Simon, and we can have a cuppa.

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

Whoops, to correct myself above, Launching in THE US in May and the UK in June

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Hey Simon – I run a UK tea company! http://www.minrivertea.com – selling a range of pure loose-leaf Chinese teas. Take a look and just get in touch if anything takes your fancy.

Chris

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

Simon, I’d endorse Chris at Min River Teas. His teas are all entirely excellent in my experience

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

I endorse @minrivertea too. I haven’t actually tried his teas but he’s a smart and genuinely nice person to chat to.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Nice one guys I’ll do that. Looks like @minrivertea is going to be getting an order from me in the near future… 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

said:
      Nice one guys I’ll do that. Looks like @minrivertea is going to be getting an order from me in the near future…

cool! Everything’s good, but I’m on a mission to get people hooked on the Old Iron. Unfortunate name, but it’s a really nice tea halfway between a red and green oolong. Or, if you like green oolongs, got fresh 2012 Tie Guan Yin (Iron Buddha) coming in about a week, and a stunning Dan Cong oolong too.

Brighton boy!! Whereabouts? Spent 6 years there previously but only remember 3 of them 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

@minrivertea Haha sounds about right for Brighton. I live up by Fiveways, right at the top of a bloody hill. We’ve got far to many of those. I’ll defo be trying that Old Iron sounds tasty, I’m not as big of a fan of the green Oolongs although I see it as not having found one I like yet. Look forward t trying them!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

haha, yep – I lived on Clifton Terrace for a while, and remember pushing my bike up that hill! All the best, Chris

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Done and done, one oolong sampler pack from @minrivertea ordered. I’m all excited now. Next up, Teajay’s 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

..and the tea is in the post. Hope you enjoy it and let me know your thoughts!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Will do man. I might even give it one of my (surely legendary by now) video reviews. Looking forward to it…

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Ah, Brighton!

@hiphopteashop and @minrivertea – I fondly remember when we opened up the train line to Brighton back in ’41. What a wonderful time that was, later on, I used to stay at the Grand Hotel when it was built. Lovely times. 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Kent Tea and Coffee ( http://www.tea-and-coffee.com/ ) are quite good. I don’t know whether they’re on here or not though. They have quite a wide selection so I imagine it might be a bit hit or miss on certain teas, but I’ve been pretty happy with everything I’ve gotten from them so far

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

*@robmarch @hiphopteashop – that’s a very nice looking web site they have. Love the theme. And a special page for Russian customers…Interesting. Wonder if they are big on UK (imported)teas? 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

*@robmarch Nice one fella. I’ll check that out for my next tea order. I’ve already got a hankering for something new… 🙂

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.