Site-Wide Activity Forums Support and Feedback Bug on the activity

Tagged: 

3 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Xavier 10 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

For the past two months, I got this (or something close to it) on the activity page when I wrote my post.
      P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: “Arial”,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 115%; text-align: left; widows: 2; […]

I know what this is but it never showed before.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

@xavier Are you writing your posts in WordPress or in Microsoft Word (or some other word processor). The stuff you are seeing is html and css code. When you write posts in a word processor and then use cut and paste to put them in, all that stuff comes with it if you don’t do it a certain way.

Take a look at this post of yours in the backend http://teaconomics.teatra.de/wp-admin/post.php?post=414&action=edit

When viewing it in the editor, select the text tab in the upper right corner of the editor. This will display the html for the post. You have a lot of extra stuff there and the activity stream displays content a certain way.

There are two ways to handle this in future. Write you posts in your blog. This is much safer than it was 6 months ago, there have been vast improvements in autosaving to protect your work as you go.  If you prefer a nice screen to write on, WP has a Distraction Free Writing Mode. It looks like a little full screen button in the text editor bar (incidentally, I have some enhancements to for that I’ve been testing out and plan to install soon to make it better). Writing in WordPress is better than it ever has been and it is the best way to write blog posts.

The other option, if you really want to write in a word processor, is to paste it into the editor using the Paste from Word button. This will open a dialogue box that you past your copied text into. It will then strip out all the extra, invisible, code from you text before adding it to the editor.

I would recommend just writing in WordPress.

bram
      Participant
      @bram

Another option is a plain text editor. I use Notepad++ on windows (so not the wndows notepad but something serious, it is free) and XEmacs on Linux. Only part of the markup and pictures I do in the site WordPress editor.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

I do write them in Libre Office but it didn’t do that before.

I will edit my posts with a plain text editor from now on.

Thanks.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.