Site-Wide Activity Forums Support and Feedback Trouble posting

14 replies, 5 voices Last updated by peter 11 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

bram
      Participant
      @bram

Hi,

I seem to have some trouble creating a new post on the forum.

About topic: Asking Water

What I do:
      1) Big red button on the right
      2) Fill in title, text, forum (all about tea) and notify. (no tags)
      3) Submit

Get the message that the post was made.
      No repeat of my text, no post in activity or forum main page. Get a reply option.
      I could retrieve my text by using the back-button of firefox. Copied it to a save place.
      Tries again: same result, no complaints that the post existed.
      This time I fill in the reply option and the reply appears on the activity page. But still not on the forum page.

There was for a moment a topic from @peter on top of the forum page that looks like it was a kins of first post.

time: ~2300 CEST ~2100 GMT

bram
      Participant
      @bram

No problem with this post. So it might have been a glitch or @peter was up to something.

bram
      Participant
      @bram

One more detail that might help with finding the problem: I do have a link (a href) in my original post. (to Lahikmajoe’s latest blogpost). Did I do that wrongly?

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

Found it. In fact, I found three of them. The system saved it each time you posted, but for some reason saved it as Pending. This makes it visible to me in the administration area, but doesn’t display it on the front, visitor-facing, side of things.

Not sure why this should have happened, I suspect that it may have been a fluke with your account (permissions and that sort of thing), but I can’t reasonably explain it right now especially since this topic was created for you without issue.

Anyhow, I’ve set your water post to a published status and all is well.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

@bram – now that I’ve had a chance to look at it, I think perhaps the links (2 links) caused it to get flagged by the spam filter. I think I’ll adjust those settings to make it a little less restrictive.

bram
      Participant
      @bram

Thank you very much.

And yes I tried 3 times. And I forgot to count the @… link that is automatically linked.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

I also have troubles posting.

I wrote yesterday a comment on the following forum topics http://teatra.de/forums/topic/blending-oolongs/

It doesn’t appear there (at least not for me) but it can be seen in the activity stream.

I don’t know if anyone else can see my post.

bram
      Participant
      @bram

*Same problem with my last reply to this topic. Caused by link?

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

Found them. Same issue as before, I tweaked the settings the other day since moving the Tea Trade blog onto the main site. It seems to have affected how the forums work (all the content is a related type so it doesn’t surprise me).  Made a few changes just now. Post again to keep me updated if it happens again.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

I posted something in the Office tea post and it doesn’t appear in the Activity or when you look at the forums but when you click on the topic, it is there.

The website was down for an unknown reason (maintenance I think) when I posted it.

Could it be the reason?

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

No idea @xavier, don’t know if @peter has. I’m guessing maybe because of those maintenance reasons you mentioned.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

@Peter @worldoftea posted an update to my activity and I received a notice in my email but I can’t find it in the website.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

yeah, @jackie let me know and @worldoftea mentioned it on Twitter, but I’m not able to recreate it or find anything in the error logs. Something may have happened at the moment Tony tried to post. I tested the reply myself and it worked fine. Might a browser type/cache issue.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

*just tried again

here’s a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Tgz21.jpg

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

@worldoftea – I hijacked your account briefly by setting a temporary password so that I could test the permissions of your account to see if that was an issue ( @jackie should have sent you a PM on Twitter by now to give you the temporary password).

In your account, I had no problems posting a reply in the activity stream. I tested it in Chrome and Firefox. I don’t have access to a Windows computer right now so I’m not able to test in IE. Seeing that it worked for me, I’m comfortable that its not a permissions issue. I do suspect that it is a browser/javascript problem, actions such as replying and posting updates in the activity stream depends heavily on ajax. 

Two questions, what browser are you using and do the other ajax functions work? The easiest way to test the ajax is to look at the activity stream and select a different filter or just click the Load More link at the bottom of the page.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.