Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Third Party Tea Scorn

6 replies, 5 voices Last updated by riccaicedo 11 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

Those around me have seen me stack on an act in more than one café, restaurant or hotel.

Increasingly, they often now get in ahead of me.

A typical scenario.

Me: “What tea do you have?”

Café, restaurant or hotel flunky: “Well…” as they pull out a drawer or vile tea bags.

I hesitate, and  then…

Another member of my party: “Well, that’s not going to work, because Robert doesn’t drink from tea bags, he’s in the tea industry, he’s a professional, he has a palate for top teas and he can’t be drinking that ordinary stuff”

I guess I should be grateful, but I’d have to admit, there are rare times, in a non-commercial transaction -for example at a funeral or during a declaration of war, or where to do so would sincerely embarrass someone who does not deserve it – where I would just accept a cup of rubbish and quietly dispose of it.

Does this happen to others?

bram
      Participant
      @bram

I have not reached that level yet.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

No, not quite like that. I’d be floored if a friend or acquaintance offered me a cup of loose leaf tea. That just doesn’t happen, at least not where we live here. If one of those people offered me a tea bag I’d still be surprised that they thad any tea at all. I’d always take a tea bag over no tea at all. If I were out and about and the only tea on offer is bagged I’ll drink it. The only “tea” I won’t drink is herbal. I dislike all Tisanes and also Rooibos. 

The other day I read a statement by one of “the clever tea guys” that said that some loose leaf is actually worse than some tea bags. He made an interesting point. I’ll see if I can remember who it was. 

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

@thedevotea you are known as being you, so people expect you to throw away tea bags and say it loudly.

riccaicedo
      Participant
      @riccaicedo

I agree with @jackie, better to have a tea bag than no tea at all.

I live in Colombia were coffee is the national product. Almost nobody has heard about loose-leaf tea here, and my friends think that I’m just weird : )

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

@riccaicedo look out for Argentinian tea. They are trying to improve its quality

riccaicedo
      Participant
      @riccaicedo

@xavier I think for the most part it’s exported to the US, though. I’ve tried yerba mate but I’m not a big fan of it.

Here in Colombia there’s some tea plantations too, but the tea ends up as bottled and flavored tea, like Lipton and Nestea.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.