Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea News and Information Tea garden coming to Northern Ireland?!

5 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Jackie 11 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Wonder what @teacraft and @filoli.farms would make of this.Nigel, did you hear about them already?
      Here’s a country I wouldn’t have “suspected” of planning to grow tea on its lands: Northern Ireland. “Suki Tea” a company out of Belfast, is expecting 2000 tea plants to arrive from Tanzania in May. Planting would begin in 18 months’ time. But will it really only take 5 years until they can start producing their blend? The team is planning to go to Tanzania to learn more about the necessary skills. Nigel I’m sure you would know very well how to go about this.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Jackie – thanks for keeping me up to date!  No, I had not seen this news item though I have in the past spoken with Oscar of Suki Tea.  And yes, I agree they might need some help.  While Northern Ireland has a somewhat sheltered clime it is no way like hot ‘n humid Tanzania – I always import tough-guy teas for cold wet places – I would be putting in plants from Georgia or Turkey or Korea, where the bushes are used to winters with snow and ice and lack of sunshine.  With skill it can be done in the time – but most back yard tea enterprises fail because of basic mistakes.  Even Ray Fong in San Francisco who knows a thing or three about tea growing killed all but a handful of his nursery plants a year back by assuming that California tap water is the same as Chinese tap water.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

Do they plan on selling it pure or blended?

lazyliteratus
      Participant
      @lazyliteratus

This excites me greatly. And it would probably be the only thing that would ever put me within arms reach of Belfast.

That said, I think the only way to make it feasible would be to blend the tea, but I do hope they release a premium single estate offering as well.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@xavier they want to create their own Portaferry blend. That’s where they’ll be growing their tea.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Update: I just realized that Suki Tea is on twitter. Saw that they’d followed our Leafbox Tea account. Anyway here’s a link to their website, looks pretty cool.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.