11 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Xavier 11 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

We’ve been experiencing a rather large number of comments from registered members getting categorized as spam comments on member’s blogs.

For the next two weeks, we’re going to run a little unsafe, while testing letting things go with one of our anti-spam layers turned off. I’ll try to track things and keep an eye on how much spam doesn’t get properly marked, or which comments post immediately to your blog posts. If you have experienced spam comments being approved on your posts, let me know in this thread.

Getting the levels of the protections just right seems to be a bit of a fine art.

ThePurrfectCup
      Participant
      @thepurrfectcup

Are you ready to turn the spam filter back on yet? I am getting so much sent to my phone, but a great deal is getting pushed to the spam catcher, thankfully!

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

This is exactly what @peter has been waiting for – feedback! 🙂 We got some from @lahikmajoe too, so thanks to him and @thepurrfectcup aka Courtney.

ThePurrfectCup
      Participant
      @thepurrfectcup

Is this getting turned back on soon? I’m still getting a good bit of spam getting through….

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@thepurrfectcup It was turned back on. We mentioned that a little while back. When you say it “gets through” do you mean it gets through as an “approved” comment, or the comments are in your spam folder?

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

When did this happen? I made some changes yesterday to prevent this from occurring. Did it happen before or after Tuesday?

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@peter do you mean @xavier, when you asked when this happened “before or after Tuesday”?

ThePurrfectCup
      Participant
      @thepurrfectcup

The comments are not getting approved. But they do turn up in my to approve section and not in the spam section where they belong. There are a lot of them that get through that way. When in say Feb. none of them were getting past the spam folder.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

@thepurrfectcup – I’ve a list of words commonly found in spam to your blacklist. This will force posts containing those words directly into the spam file and will bypass the moderation file. This should prevent the moderate this comment emails, but it may send more comments into spam because it works with partial words too.

Anyone interested in doing the same thing can set it up in their dashboard under Settings -> Discussion. The spam words list can be found here.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

I don’t mind if the comments go into “pending” because they’re pretty much all spam, and they can wait for me to deal with. Then I just trash them. The steps are the same. From Pending straight to Trash, or from Spam to Trash.

ThePurrfectCup
      Participant
      @thepurrfectcup

@Peter – Thanks much!! I think it’s working already! @Jackie I only mind because updates get sent to my email on my phone…that gets old quick as I think all these people are reading the blog and it turns out it’s spam!

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

@Peter I just found out that I had once more spammed my own blog.

This happened with my last reply to a comment made by @thedevotea on my Hamburg post.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.