Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea News and Information Earl Grey brew, the beer from New Zealand!

4 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Jackie 11 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@lazyliteratus @iheartteas I thought of you guys here. Anyway, thanks to @yaya who always has entertaining thoughts I stumbled on Gunnamatta a “dry hopped” New Zealand beer, not made with hops but with Earl Grey tea. It doesn’t sound like the particular beer YaYa was referring to because he mentioned a green tea based beer. I can’t find that one, but I did see this Earl Grey.  From a review I read it is a “wonderfully hoppy IPA with a stout malt backbone blended with the distinct aromatic qualities of Earl Grey tea. I’m not quite sure about this part though:  it “isn’t like other beers-with-tea that you might have sampled where the tea notes are subtle hints at tea flavor, Gunnamatta throws off a huge bergamot aroma with a rich tea-infused flavor to match.”

I don’t know if I’d want a beer to taste of bold Earl Grey. I don’t even like Earl Grey teas that are overly scented. Well, who knows. It certainly sounds interesting. But is it more interesting to tea drinkers, or beer drinkers? Either way, I love the company’s name Yeastie Boys. Seems like a good enough reason to buy it. If you’re still skeptical, here’s what other beer drinkers have to say on RateBeer. Enjoy!

Gunnamatta

lazyliteratus
      Participant
      @lazyliteratus

I was lusting after this when I saw @maykingtea‘s photo of it on Facebook. And, since then, I’ve been scouring every specialty beer place I know about. No luck, so far.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@lazyliteratus I know, I tried to find some for @peter but I don’t think it’s available, at least not where we are. There are a few places that sell Yeastie Boys but not that particularly beer. And the stores that do are nowhere near us. I saw one place that sells online but again not  the Earl Grey beer. If you find out something more, let me know.

lazyliteratus
      Participant
      @lazyliteratus

@Jackie – I heard back from the brewer .It’s not due out in the U.S., yet. But they have plans to ship it overseas eventually.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@lazyliteratus – yeah, didn’t I see something about it coming to the US in spring? But do tell us more about your home brewed Earl Grey beer, that just sounds like an awesome culinary experiment.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.