Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Can you recommend tea shops / tea rooms in New York City?

7 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Nicole Schwartz 12 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Both my sister and another friend are going to be in NYC over the Christmas and New Year period – where should they visit to check out the TEA? I know some places may well close over the holiday break, but I’d love to have some recommendations to offer them!

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Hey Ms V,

I can’t give you any personal recommendations, since it’s been far too long since I last had tea in NYC. However, I did browse around a bit and found this page about New York tea rooms from TeaGuide. Looks like many of the entries were updated in 2010, so not sure how about this year. Since the restaurant scene changes so fast, it’s probably best to call ahead. Either way the guide offers lots and lots of suggestions, not just in Manhattan. Here’s the link:
      Of course someone like Verna (@vlhamilton) and perhaps @jopj might be able to tell you exactly what a certain place is like, or which room/store they mustn’t miss.
      Also, months ago keenteathyme linked to an article in the NY Times, which although really pricey, still made for a fun read:
      By the way, you know what my first thought was: I wish it were you, and you could drop by and see us. What’s a few more hours of travel, once you’re in the US? : )
      J.

jopj
      Participant
      @jopj

Hi Verity;
      Xmas and New Years is a great time to be in NYC. I have a few places that I can suggest some old, some new.  It seems NYC has become Tea’d up recently.
      Please contact me directly [email protected] and I will send you some recommendations. Also note a few of the places in the 2010 teaguide listing have closed.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

@jopj thank you! I will do!

@jackie thanks my dear 😉 maybe one day….!! 🙂 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Good evening good tea people! There are a few places in New York City, depending upon your particular tea mood. For example,

Th̩ Ador̩ (17 East 13th Street, French Vietnamese style) Рlocated in Union Square, features Mariage Fr̬res tea and scrumptious food and pastries.
      Franchia (12 Park Avenue near 34th Street, Korean vegan) – wide selection of teas and tisanes. It’s a very calm space in Midtown Manhattan (read: rare).
      Tea and Sympathy (108 Greenwich Ave, British casual) – can personally recommend the Ginger Cake with warm custard. Oh yes, there is plenty of tea and atmosphere galore. 
      Please feel free to check StraightFromTheLeaf.com for more details.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Oooh @thinkteadrinktea – now I wish we could just pop to NYC and try out these places. 

I’m googling these suggestions now, here’s a nice link to Franchia:
      I see Nicole from teaformeplease reviewed Franchia too, back in February.
      Now I need to look at the other places too…Clearly @verity‘s sister will have plenty of places to choose from! 

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

And more on tea rooms in New York City! Just saw @amazonv‘s latest blog post talks about her visit to Alice’s Tea Cup. Good review with nice pics.

Nicole Schwartz
      Participant
      @amazonv

I must recommend:

teany
      I visited before the fire and before i blogged

Tea and Sympathy
      http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2011/06/tea-sympathy-place-review.html

Lady Mendl’s Tea Salon – make reservations
      http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2011/06/lady-mendls-tea-salon-place-review.html

Radiance tea house
      http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/05/nyc-steepster-tea-meetup.html

The tea set
      http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/12/tea-set-review.html

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.