Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Tea books: Read all about it!

13 replies, 5 voices Last updated by bram 11 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

OK I’ll be bold and jump in here – I like Okukaru’s Book of Tea. I am in awe of Ukers’ two volume All about Tea, published in the 1930s – stats, facts, photos, diagrams, science, it’s all in there (though a bit dry, admittedly).

And I can’t help but mention The Gunpowder Gardens: Travels through India and China in Search of Tea. Yup, I wrote it, and I have to say I’m proud of it. It holds up well. It’s available on Kindle, it’s very cheap, and it will make you laugh. I promise. (Extract here: http://gunpowdergardens.wordpress.com/extract-see-inside/)

Any other ideas?

bram
      Participant
      @bram

Yes, too many. But I have those 3 too. Read 2 of them, Ukers’ takes a bit longer.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@gunpowdergardens -you reference back to your own work so enthusiastically, I think you should simply add your blog to Tea Trade like most of us here. That way we won’t miss your posts and you won’t need to self promote 😛

bram
      Participant
      @bram

Yeah (talking about self promotion ;)), blog and tell us the stories that did not make it into the book. 😉

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

I’m currently reading “The Heart of Tea”. Can”t put it down.

bram
      Participant
      @bram

You will have to, otherwise we can’t pick it up. 😉

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

jackie – thanks, splendid idea! bram – another! I’l do just that.

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

Jason, I borrowed your book from the library a few months back. Lady Devotea read it, but I couldn’t. I found the type too small.

But the good news is, it’s in a small suburban South Australian library. That’s got to make you feel good.

riccaicedo
      Participant
      @riccaicedo

@thedevotea is “The Heart of Tea” available on Kindle? I have problems finding tea books in Colombian bookstores.

bram
      Participant
      @bram

@riccaicedo Bookstores here ain’t a place to go for tea books either. If they have one chances are they are about recipes for cakes and such and not about tea. As if I need a cake as an excuse to drink tea (or vice versa).

Places I use to find books:

second hand bookstores
      amazon (often only for the reviews and book information)
      ebay (+ something similar for the Dutch market)
      antiqbook.com (+ something similar for the Dutch market)
      Tea stores. Rarely a success

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

Likely release date  The Heart of Tea is May  @riccaicedo

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@riccaicedo It just so happens that @thedevotea cannot stop reading “The heart of tea” because it is his own upcoming book! You’d think he’d know every word by now. Actually he’s been publishing excerpts of it on his blog. Looks most promising. But good question, will it be on Kindle?

riccaicedo
      Participant
      @riccaicedo

@thedevotea I’ll be eagerly awaiting for the release of your book! If it’s on an electronic format is easier for me to buy it, otherwise I have to get it shipped to Colombia.

bram
      Participant
      @bram

Actually, for me a digital version only would most likely reduce the chance of me reading it to next to none. But so would also a high price (including shipping). On the other hand it is a book by thedevotea, so that increases the reading chances.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.