Site-Wide Activity Forums Not only tea! Tea and bad guys

9 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Xavier 11 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

I just saw a movie with a really bad guy with the right profile and all and it seemed to drink only coffee.

Why is that? Isn’t there any bad guy that could drink tea?

liberteas
      Participant
      @liberteas

Only the good guys drink tea.  Maybe it’s the coffee that makes them bad.  LOL

bram
      Participant
      @bram

* Tea is more subtle. No one recognizes a bad tea person. A tea drinking bad guy is a mastermind. A coffee bad guy is just a bad guy. Image of the stereotype bad guy: drinking wiskey, coffee, smoking, etc.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

A tea drinking bad guy is a mastermind

Yes, exactly. Any villain that drinks tea is a superior villain compared to all others. Coffee-drinking baddies are just thugs. Tea-drinking baddies are evil.

Take a look at this guy – Hugo Drax – the James Bond villain from Moonraker
      Tea + Villain = Super Villain!
      Hugo Drax

bram
      Participant
      @bram

*I had that picture in my mind, but could not place it. 🙂

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

I had forgotten about that one.

What tea did he drink?

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

I only could find the time as it was supposed to be an English afternoon tea, i.e. a 5 o’clock one.

Robert Godden
      Participant
      @thedevotea

Many Bond villains drink tea. 

Fleming was a coffee drinker and hated tea. There’s a passage in Live and Let Die where Bond blames tea for the downfall of the British Empire. 

A few months ago I was in the house of a neighbour that Fleming despised – the architect Goldfinger, the inspiration for  another of his teadrinking baddies . 

There’s something terrifying about a bad guy with a dainty china cup. It implies a level of control.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

I don’t think it’s so much about bad guys drinking tea. It’s more about their nationality. Bad guys are very often English, when they’re not German. So the master villain (easily distinguishable by his British accent) drinks a cuppa because that is what all English do. The bad ones and the good ones. 

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

But I read somewhere that James Bond drank tea in one novel (I think it was Jasmin tea).

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.