Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Sri Lanka and tea

7 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Xavier 12 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

As you might have noticed from my activity stream, I received a lot of different teas from my uncle after he came back from Sri Lanka.
      I will try to post pictures of them as soon as I manage to get home early enough to have a good light but this is not what I wanted to say.

He told me something quite surprising.
      They visited a tea plantation and tea factory (pictures to follow tomorrow) and they were said (and could see it as they bought the tea for me) that it was not cheaper (perhaps they meant a lot cheaper) than here and that it cost so much that the people in Sri Lanka have to buy the dust to make their own tea.

Max
      @

We got quite friendly with on of the waiters on our hotel in Sri Lanka, he told me that his mother always brought dust for them.

He earns around 5k rupies a month exkl tips.
      1kg of high growing b.o.p directly from the factory is price is 1000 rupies(Touristprice )
      I cant say the difference between tourist price an local price, but from my experience its
      anything between 2x to 10x of what the locals pay.

1usd = 1k rupies

The workers at Lankan tea factorys is mainly women, they do all steps in the process from picking to packaging, and the boss is always a man.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

That was really interesting Max. So interesting that I’d love you to become a member 🙂
      Anyway, I’m confused @xavier, is it, or is it not cheaper for locals to buy the tea right there? What did you mean? From what Max is saying it is considerably cheaper. Or am I missing something here?

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

@jackie, @Max is saying the same as I am: local people don’t get the good stuff, they get the dust.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Thank you all who notice some remarks about Sri lanka Tea,Thats right most of the srilankan people make their tea with dust ,because of the price they can effort .Sri lankan Tea exporters all ways export the good tea to make money and they put dust to the Sri lankan market. Most of the SL people use to drink tea with sugar
      and they do not interest about the taste and verity of the tea taste unlike other people .I am live in Sri lanka and if any one like to know more about Srilanka and Tea I like to explain , I am at
      [email protected] Thank you nihal

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@nceylont – we would all love to know more about Sri Lanka and tea. Can you either write some forum posts, or perhaps start a blog, maybe with a few pictures? I’m sure there’d be plenty of interest!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Yes Jackie! I would be starting a blog/forum as soon as possible since I’m a little busy these days.
      It is my pleasure to know that people are willing to know about Sri Lankan Tea!

I would provide all information, and post pictures of all kinds of tea that Sri Lanka has to offer!

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

@nceylont I can’t wait to read your blog.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.