Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Roasting coffee and tea

2 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Jackie 11 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

I had a discussion with a tea oriented colleague and he asked me if I knew why shops that sells roasting coffee and tea should be avoided.
      What is the impact of roasting coffee on tea?

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

We used to have a company in the next town that was a bulk coffee roaster and tea packer (First Colony Coffee and Tea). After 100+ years they finally went out of of business. In addition to their roasting/packing facility in the industrial district, downtown they used to have a cafe.

All their products were handled through the same facility. The website is just a good-bye letter now, but back when they were in business they had some good behind-the-scenes pictures and documentation about their company (their last tea blender had been with the company for nearly 40 years – he started out sweeping the floor of the plant.) I distinctly remember reading a long part of their website that talked about the separation of the tea handling areas from the coffee handling areas to prevent adulteration of the more delicate tea leaves.

I would imagine that a cafe that roasts in-house isn’t likely going to have that kind of flexibility and freedom. I never made it to First Colony’s cafe before they closed it down, but I remember not being too keen on visiting it. I did have some of their teas which I obtained from a different local retailer, but I don’t remember much about them. Chances are I probably found them to be rather ordinary.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Well, I don’t normally have coffee in the house unless we have guests. When I do, it’s stored in the pantry, as far away as possible from our tea which is in the kitchen, in a cabinet. I think that unless both are stored in sealed containers all the time, the coffee aroma is too strong and penetrates the leaves. Any coffee house I’ve been to, smells strongly of coffee. While I quite like the smell of coffee, it’s no good for tea. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.