Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea News and Information "Jamba Juice buys Talbott Teas"

7 replies, 5 voices Last updated by jopj 12 years ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

I have to admit I cringe a little every time I hear “Jamba Juice” in this “commercial.” http://youtu.be/hhap1QASxQoTalbott Teas wasn’t exactly marketing itself as a juicy fruit. I understand that Shane Talbott and Steven Nakisher – the previous owners – are probably getting a good financial deal out of this sale but still, to me the move was unexpected.
      Anyway, the Chicago Tribune’s article is interesting, and the video too. Incidentally, I much prefer the Times’ headline (Jamba Juice buys Talbott Teas) to that of the Windy City Times: “Gay-owned tea company set to go national”. Makes me think their headline isn’t much concerned with the Biz news, or the tea.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Interesting. I am happy that they are happy with this move and it will be nice to go to a Jamba Juice for tea since currently I don’t got there at all. There are several near me, thus making the tea more accessible. However, I have never really been a fan of Jamba Juice themselves. One look at a nutritional label and I am sure your jaw will drop too. In my own personal opinion they are more interested in being perceived as being a health conscience company than actually being one. In reality their product isn’t as healthy as they claim with some exceptions of course. Now it has been a very long time since I have been there and perhaps things of changed but as of my last interaction I would say I don’t like the idea of tea being associated with a business like Jamba Juice.

I am certain people will disagree with me but please keep in mind it is just my opinion. You are welcome to yours as well. 🙂

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

@iheartteas – Rachel, I don’t think the teas will be available at Jamba Juice. I think they just bought the brand to add to their “stable of lifestyle brands.” Lifestyle brands, the term, sounds phony to me.
      Anyway interesting thoughts. While I don’t know the company, I do know that these blended fruit beverages are often full of sugar. The Strawberry Whirl has 46g of sugar in the smallest size, 80g in the largest. That’s not the natural sugar content of a bunch of strawberries.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

This from the press release at Jamba Juice:

Talbott Teas’ products are available online at QVC, fine retailers, and the Talbott Teas website as well as specialty retailers, gourmet grocers, salon spas, select luxury hotels and restaurants throughout the Chicagoland area. Talbott Teas will also be available for sale at Jamba Juice locations. The purchase of Talbott Teas is part of Jamba’s strategy to accelerate growth through the acquisition of specialty, lifestyle brands that support Jamba’s expansion into new and relevant product categories.

Of course, I have to admit that I’ve never been really excited about Talbott Teas, they struck me as too expensive and quite frankly, we may find Jamba Juice dropping the line from their stores in not too many years unless they can get those prices down to non-luxury levels (for dry tea).

On the other hand, the pricing model is going to change anyhow and Talbott’s is going to be restructured. Currently, JJ sells hot tea using the Mighty Leaf brand, which no doubt, they will be phasing out. I can see the advantage here, its going to cost them more to sell Mighty Leaf teas, but if they own the company, the distribution, development and operational assets then they get the whole under their corporate umbrella. There are a number other issues to be thought about as well (like how to structure Talbott’s Teas outside of JJ locations? and how are the brand impact outside the store and what impact is there from the external distribution to the in-store sales?)

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

@jackie I thought they were but I could have misunderstood and I’m with @Peter Talbott Teas needs to bring their prices down. I have found finer teas at lower cost elsewhere. The ones I have tired were ok. Nothing to really write home about. This pairing just seems so odd to me. Who knows I might be wrong. Best of luck, I suppose.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Here’s a quick follow-up on the Talbott Teas/Jamba Juice deal:
      http://www.marketwatch.com/story/talbott-teastm-follow-up-story-revealed-on-shark-tanktm-april-27-2012-04-23
      April 27th is heralded as the big day. Is there really going to be any kind of surprise, anything we don’t already know? The big news will be old news by then – I think.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

I must have been living on another planet, aka the Old World 😉

jopj
      Participant
      @jopj

Hello all;
      I am in agreement with reducing costs. As a mater of fact, the day after the sale I wrote to DJ and mentioned the challenges I anticipated in this “marriage”. I personally do not consider Jamba Juice an upscale juice brand. They are no Liquiteria. The concern: placing a “boutique” tea brand in a “fast drink” environment when they have not succeeded with the brand they already have. I wish them the best as I have yet to hear back from him and hope they have a solid plan. I hear there’s going to be another “announcement” on Friday “more to be revealed” 😉

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.