Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations HOW DO YOU CLEAN BAMBOO WISK?

3 replies, 3 voices Last updated by riccaicedo 11 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Hey tea friends:

I have a bamboo wisk for Matcha preparation, that probably needs cleaned. It’s been a long time since I’ve had Matcha, and before I have any more, I want to clean my whisk. I don’t plan on using harsh cleaners, because I don’t want to affect the taste of the tea.

What is the best way to clean one? Thanks for your help.

peter
      Keymaster
      @peter

Don’t use boiling water, which, while it would sanitize it, would also warp it. One thing butchers do with wooden cutting boards is to rub them down with salt. With that in mind, maybe getting some kosher salt (because it isn’t so chemically processed) and rub it on the parts of the whisk. Or, maybe pour some into a bowl, add a little water to make a brine solution and swirl the whisk around in it for a few minutes. The salt should kill any bacteria and freshen it up for you. A good thorough rinse afterward, maybe while rubbing the whisk parts with your fingers to really get the fresh water into it, and you should be ready to go. 

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Thanks Peter, that’s good advice. Most other cleaning agents would be absorbed by the bamboo.

riccaicedo
      Participant
      @riccaicedo

If I’m not mistaken for the Japanese tea ceremony they use a new one each time.
      For normal use however, people just rinse it with water and let it dry.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.