Site-Wide Activity Forums Tea Conversations Best Tea Place Nearest to You?

12 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Xavier 9 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

thelastdodo
      Participant
      @thelastdodo

Hello fellow Tea Traders! It seems that these forums are dead, but I want to start a conversation!

Where is the best tea place you have ever been to? What made it great? What (besides the tea) made it so memorable?

thelastdodo
      Participant
      @thelastdodo

I have been to 2 really great places.

The first one is closest to me, and it had a great selection of really nice strictly-straight teas. The staff really knew what they were talking about. The only issue I had was that they only allowed brewing behind the counter – meaning that I was not allowed to steep it myself. I went there on one of the hottest days of the year and was sweating profusely all the while 😛 I went when they were near closing and was rudely shoo’ed out before finishing the last drops. Too bad, it was good tea.

The second place is amazing. I have been there several times, and always taking new people there to show them. The Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse is so beautiful inside and their tea menu is four pages! They also had really great food. I highly recommend it if you ever go to Boulder, CO.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

The forums are not dead but not very active 😉

The best tea place is really Theodor shop in Paris.
      The place is something quite special with a lot of teas and teawares and the people are really helpful and nice.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Hi and welcome @thelastdodo – Thanks for your input, I took a look at the Boulder link, looks like a nice place. Would love to visit Colorado some time. @peter and I are on the East Coast.
      If you like you can always add those two places to Tea Planet. We built that site some time ago but tend to forget about it until another new listing is added by someone. Just a lot of other things going on, besides good ol’ Tea Trade. Which we’re still very fond of, mainly because of the people we have known on here for a long time.

@xavier
      – you must take us there one day…Miss Paris.
      As to favorite tea places? Not sure I can think of one or two that stand out. There are so many good places I can think of in Europe but here in our city there are only a couple of places and neither one of them ranks on my list. My favorite kind of tea cafe would sell cakes and pastries along with loose leaf tea. And the decor would be striking and comfortable with not an inch of chintz in sight. Luckily we have a great bunch of tea bloggers here who report on their latest tea finds for us to enjoy along with them.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

And I forgot about Northern Germany (Bremen, Hambourg, Sylt).

bram
      Participant
      @bram

I have a book about the Boulder-Dushanbe teahouse.

(still unread)

It looks very interesting.

Unfortunately the really good places are not nearby.

Formocha is a good shop to go (in Amsterdam, see teaplanet)

I liked the tea house behind the Etnography museum in Hamburg (see blogpost)

In the mood for tea” in Stockholm is a great shop. Not mentioned that one yet in my blog.
      That also goes for: Čajový dom in Bratislava. (notice their URL! 😉 )

But this list is far from complete.

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

Bram, the one in Hamburg near the Etnography Museum is really nice.

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

Sounds like some good info @bram and @xavier Don’t forget to add any new ones to

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Whilst travelling around India I stopped at a little tea house in Fort Kochi, Kerala called Teapot. Inside the walls, tables and ceiling were full of different styled tea pots. The tables were made of old tea chests. It felt like it had been the same way for years and I loved it. It also made one of the best cups of Chai Masala I’ve ever tasted 🙂
      Cheers
      Paul

Jackie
      Keymaster
      @jackie

I love old tea chests. Wouldn’t mind one or two in our home. So, are you going to Kerala again on your world-tea-plantations trip @twpaul or are you leaving it out because you’ve already been there?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I absolutely love India and have been very lucky with my previous job to work there for extended amounts of time. Though I’ve been to Munnar & Ponmudi I’d love to go back. The views are breathtaking and I just love how its one minute 35-40C degrees and then you go over the mountain and it feels lovely and cool. I can’t recommend it highly enough. Have you been to India yourself?

We’re planning on hitting India at some point in 2016 – either at the start or end depending on which way way travel after Australia.

Have you been to any tea plantations? What was your favourite?

Hope you’re having a great day.
      Paul

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

In Hamburg, Tee Gschwendner opened a new shop/salon and I can tell you that it is usually empty and really cosy (and for those that wonder, they have good teas and scones).

Xavier
      Participant
      @xavier

For our Irish friends, here is a guide (not by me) to 10 great places to have tea in Dublin.

http://www.traveledits.com/the-dublin-edit/ten-great-places-to-have-tea-in-dublin/

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.